Lunches for Retirees Authored mainly by Ted Williams
Sadly the “official” Chevron sponsored Retiree Lunch programme ended in 2016 but thanks to the efforts of local organisers some lunches were held in the autumn of 2017 Whilst the numbers of attendees was down(no doubt due to having to pay!) the level of enthusiasm was such that plans are in place for an expanded lunch programme this autumn.. CUKPA are delighted to play a part in helping to promote these reunion events.As Insight goes to press mid April these are the latest plans. Further updates will appear on the CUKPA web site if organisers contact web master Dave Poulter.
The valiant organisers shown below will be delighted to hear from you so that arrangements can be firmed up and bookings made with the venues. Please help them by expressing your interest as soon as possible.
- London-RAF Club, Piccadilly.Friday 26th October. RAF Club is a prestigious and historical location and bound to be a popular venue.The venue has been independently sponsored for us so helping to keep the cost to an indicative £40. .Drinks in the Churchill Bar ( pay bar) for pre lunch reception. Three course set menu with vegetarian option in the Ballroom. 12.00 for 1.00.. Contact Rod Pesch 01442 249212 or 07831 397539 firstname.lastname@example.org. with your interest by Friday June 8th. Rod is aiming for at least 100 (RAF can cater for 140). Guests and partners welcome.
- Chelmsford The Lion Inn, Main Rd, Boreham nr Chelmsford CM3.Thursday 22nd November. Same venue as for past 6 years . 2 courses and drink for £34 a head. contact Dave Poulter. 01245 601451 email@example.com
- Cheltenham– Queens Hotel. Friday 30th November cost £33 pp. Retirees ,current employees and partners welcome.Two courses, tea or coffee and glass or so of wine. contact Jeremy Butcher 07989 709191 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Croydon- Park Hotel. Thursday 4th October. A simply splendid buffet and excellent value. Cost c£29 incl drink to be firmed up when numbers known. contact Doug Bingham 01322 336489 email@example.com before end of June please.
- Mid Pembrokeshire. Ashley Warlow would like to organise a lunch in mid/late October. Venue probably Beggars Reach Hotel,Burton. Cost approx £20 for three course meal.All Texaco, Gulf, Chevron former employees and partners welcome. Please get in touch with Ashley before end of June so he can ascertain interest.01646 600265 firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Poole . Janet Kennewell would be delighted to hear from retirees of all heritage companies. Previous lunches in this part of the world have been held at the Thistle Hotel. Do get in contact with Janet who is aiming to arrange a lunch in October. Contact Janet on 01305 851922 or email@example.com.
- Other possibilities are:
- Canvey: John Newton firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kinsteignton Janet Kennewell email@example.com
- Pembroke: Derek Williams firstname.lastname@example.org
- Saffron Walden: Gloria Hills contact Dave Poulter email@example.com
A former colleague once said to me just after I “retired” and attended my first retiree lunch. “Do you know Ted these ( reunion) events are worth their weight in gold.” At the time I was not totally tuned in to this view but 15 years later I can assure you he was absolutely spot on. If there is a lunch being planned or contemplated in your area I would heartily commend it to you.
Once again many thanks to the stalwarts making it happen across the country. Please give them your support.