Lunches for Retirees Authored mainly by Ted Williams
Sadly the “official” Chevron sponsored Retiree Lunch programme ended in 2016 but thanks to the efforts of local organisers some lunches were held in the autumn of 2017 Whilst the numbers of attendees was down(no doubt due to having to pay!) the level of enthusiasm was such that plans are in place for an expanded lunch programme this autumn.. CUKPA are delighted to play a part in helping to promote these reunion events.As Insight goes to press mid April these are the latest plans. Further updates will appear on the CUKPA web site if organisers contact web master Dave Poulter.
The valiant organisers shown below will be delighted to hear from you so that arrangements can be firmed up and bookings made with the venues. Please help them by expressing your interest as soon as possible.
- London – RAF Club, Piccadilly Friday 26th Drinks in the Churchill Bar (pay bar) for pre-lunch Reception. 12.00 for 1pm lunch. Contact Rod Pesch 01442 249212, or 07831 397539 or firstname.lastname@example.org. As of mid-July Rod had received 94 responses for the lunch, very close to his target of 100 – all very positive.
- Chelmsford – The Lion Inn,Main Rd, Boreham, nr Chelmsford . Thursday 22nd 2 courses and drink for £34 a head. Contact 01245 601451 or email@example.com.
- Cheltenham – Queens Hotel, Friday 30th November 12.00 for sit down at 1.30pm. Cost £33 for 2 courses, tea or coffee and a glass of wine. Contact Jeremy Butcher 07989 709191 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Croydon – Park Hotel, Thursday 4th October. Cost £19.50 inc. drink. Contact, Doug Bingham 01322 336489 or email@example.com
- Mid Pembrokeshire.Cancelled through lack of interest.
- Poole – The plan is for lunch at the Thistle Hotel on Thursday 4th Lunch is 12.00 for 12.30 for 2 courses. Please contact Janet Kennewell on 01305 851922 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Other possibilities are:
- Canvey: John Newton email@example.com
- Kinsteignton Janet Kennewell firstname.lastname@example.org
- Pembroke: Derek Williams email@example.com
- Saffron Walden: Gloria Hills contact Dave Poulter firstname.lastname@example.org
A former colleague once said to me just after I “retired” and attended my first retiree lunch. “Do you know Ted these ( reunion) events are worth their weight in gold.” At the time I was not totally tuned in to this view but 15 years later I can assure you he was absolutely spot on. If there is a lunch being planned or contemplated in your area I would heartily commend it to you.
Once again many thanks to the stalwarts making it happen across the country. Please give them your support.